Thursday, March 27, 2008

Color Scale

Yes, as an artist, having a correct knowledge of colors and the scales is very important indeed. There are three main color scales; monochromatic- the same hue in ranges of shades, tone, and tints-, complementary- colors that are complete opposite on color wheel-, and analogous- colors which includes main primary. I choose blue for my primary color, orange being complementary. The most tedious scale in the project I thought is monochromatic, as test color chips had to be made and put together the shades, tints and tones in order of what makes sense in individual's eyes. without the test chips, I found it hard to mix the correct color, especially matching tones with pure tints. I didn't know how important it was and ignored the process, until when I started painting I realized it is not working. However creating other scales were pretty easy, especially the complementary, as it only involved mixing small amounts of opposite colors towards the darkest color, and slowly brightening up to other complementary color. Analogous was fun to play with, because through the process I found different mixes of colors that I liked.

No comments: