Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chromatic Gray


Normally, people would mix black and white to create gray. What people don't realize is that there are different tones and hues of gray which can be created by mixing various colors with white. It all starts with mixing primary colors- or perhaps secondary- for main hue, and from there on mix in white while balancing the hue by subtly adding in the main colors. It is a long process, and I at first, was skeptical about the result, but in the end I've created gray. By this study, I've found that my belief on what gray is set on the general knowledge of the color, thus I was in denial of the end result which seemed more like a pastel tone rather then gray. But gray is in the pastel group, and metal objects proves that gray is not limited to black and white combination, as it's reflective character shows other colors on the object. After this tedious process of learning about gray, painting metallic object was a new turn for me. I no longer used black in order to get the silvery effect, which effected the overall painting- by not using black, my painting seemed to have more depth and looked realistic. It was a good exercise to remind me why already made black is not a reliable color to artists.


Picture from http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/IMG/gray10.gif, painting in Neutrals, Bruce MacEvoy last revised 11/12/2007, (1/05/2008)

No comments: